Tuesday 22 April 2014

DIY Rag Rug

Hello everyone :D
I have finally finished my rag rug and I'm so happy with it. It's so soft and thick and lovely. The thing I love about this project is that you can customize it to whatever fabric and colours you like - you can even cut up old t-shirts to make this.

Now I'm not going to lie to you. Although it is a super easy repetitive process, it can be quite time consuming. It took me about 4 months to make including procrastination time (I found this a really fun activitiy to do while multitasking, like watching TV or listening to audiobooks). But with an outcome like this how can you not do this DIY.

Materials:

  • Variety of fabric (cotton is best)
  • Fabric scissors
  • Tape measure
  • A tool to help you thread the fabric through (I used the end of a crochet hook, you can just use a pencil)
  • Non-slip mats (with holes in it) - You can just get these from the Warehouse
The total cost for this project was around $30, which was amazing considering the price of a normal rug this size can be $100+.
Method:
  1. Use your fabric scissors and tape to measure and cut out strips of fabric roughly 1.5cm X 12cm.
  2. Lay out your non slip mat and cut it to the size you would like your rug to be. I had to attach two of mine together because the mats weren't wide enough. Mine measured 90cm X 60cm.
  3. To thread the fabric strips through, use a pencil or pointed object (I used the end of a crochet hook) to stick one end of the fabric strip through a hole. Use the pointed object again to stick the other end through a hole close to the other hole.
  4. Next flip your rug around and tie it with a knot to secure it.
  5. I used this method to thread through all of my fabric in the rug. I also created little tuffs of fabric everywhere and then blended these bunches in with a mixture of other fabric strips. This threading fabric method was also what I used to attach the two non slip pieces together (I just did it along the line where the two pieces met) and the two pieces blended in seamlessly.
As seen in this close up, you can see some parts where I didn't thread through the fabric, but it is quite subtle and you can always add on more fabric later if desired. I didn't really mind it.
Thanks for reading :)
Bye for now,

No comments :

Post a Comment